Monday, July 17, 2006

Studio Time

We spent two days in the studio this weekend, putting down the backing tracks for what I hope will be the final two songs on the new CD. This project has now spanned over three years in terms of recording, a few more of writing. I understand why this is - we all have full lives outside the band - wives, houses, jobs, film-festivals, school - so we are a band moving in slow motion.

These are also the only two songs we've recorded that we've never played live. They both have a different, less urgent feel than our others and I wonder if that's why. The first is our first ever let-loose-and-jam song, and it kind of worked. I'll know better looking back at it after a while. We are not really jam players. Joe S and I do try to get the interlocking guitars thing down, but I'm not sure it really works in the end. I also had to record really small no-support vocals which was not easy.

The second song "Starfleet Academy" we had to finish the arrangement in the studio with a lot of useful suggestions by Dave N the engineer. I got to play a theremin solo which I think I may actually have a talent for. I may have to get one of those.

Skizz added a lot of extra percussion to some of the previous tracks - maraccas, tambourine, claves. These are really sounding great. I hope this thing gets some distribution. I think there are a lot of folks out there who would like it.

No comments: